Mark R. Smith
Business & Corporate Law
Labor & Employment Law
Serving both regional and nationwide businesses for 30 years, Mark assists clients with preventative legal matters as well as resolving complex litigation issues.
Mark is a State and Federal Court Approved General Civil Mediator, with regular appointments by the Kent County Circuit Court and the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan. He has extensive representative experience handling claims in excess of one million dollars and has handled some of the largest (30 million plus) and longest (eight week jury trial) cases in Kent County history.
He frequently lectures on topics including alternative dispute resolution, employment discrimination, sexual harassment, whistle-blower and retaliation claims, construction liens, public and private sector construction contract terms, change orders, delay damages, claims analysis, architectural copyrights, employee non-competes, confidentiality agreements, electronic communication policies, e-discovery rules and a host of other topics for the Grand Rapids Bar Association, the Association of Building Contractors, The Grand Rapids Home Builders Association, the National Business Institute, the Michigan County Medical Care Facilities Council and Lohrman Education Services.
Awards and Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell Preeminent AV Rating
- Community Media Center, 2006 Media Access Leadership Award
Marshall-Wythe School of Law, College of William & Mary, Juris Doctor, 1981
Western Michigan University, Bachelor of Business Administration, 1978
- US Federal District Court of Western Michigan
- US Federal District Court of Eastern Michigan
- US Federal District Court of Eastern Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- United States Tax Court
MLIVE CHAT: "Grand Rapids attorneys chat live on what businesses should know before serving drinks at the holiday party."
"After decades of trying with little success, law firms unveil new plan to recruit minorities and females, " Mlive
Legal Alert: Employers face new challenges with recent decisions from Kent County Business Court
"Love what you do," The Grand Rapids Lawyer
"Education-It's a matter of justice," The Grand Rapids Lawyer
"Diversity-It's what makes the heartbeat," The Grand Rapids Lawyer
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, President
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, Vice President (2009-2010)
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, Secretary (2007-2009)
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, Trustee (1997-2000)
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Chair of the Grand Rapids Cable Advisory Forum
- The Grand Rapids Community Media Center (Trustee 2000-2003, President 2004-2006
- West Michigan Blues Society (Trustee 1993-1997, President 1998-1999)
- Leadership Grand Rapids