Scott J. Steiner
Real Estate Law
Sustainability, Energy and Climate Change
Chair of the firm's Environmental Law Practice Group and a core member of the Sustainability, Energy and Climate Change Practice Group, Scott practices in the areas of real estate law, land use law, and condemnation. He specializes in complex commercial and industrial real estate projects involving sites with contamination or regulated features such as wetlands, lakes, streams or critical dunes.
Scott's representative experience includes: all aspects of guiding clients through property and business transactions with environmental issues; representation of clients in efforts to achieve closure of contaminated sites under state and federal laws; redevelopment of "brownfield" sites ; counseling clients on environmental liability and regulatory compliance matters; securing land use permits and approvals; and representation of property owners and governmental agencies in condemnation and property tax appeal proceedings.
In addition, he previously served as the President of the Schrems West Michigan Chapter of Trout Unlimited and as Environmental Counsel for the Michigan Council of Trout Unlimited. He was instrumental in establishing the Rogue River Watershed Council. Scott has served as an adjunct instructor at Grand Valley State University.
Wayne State University Law School, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1988
Central Michigan University, Bachelor of Science,
cum laude, 1984
Awards and Recognition
Best Lawyers of America®, Environmental Law & Litigation
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, Real Estate Section and past president of the Environmental Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan, Real Estate
- State Bar of Michigan, Environmental Law Section Council Member and Chair of Water Committee
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources - Water Quality and Wetlands Committee and Environmental Transactions and Brownfields Committee
- National Brownfield Association
- West Michigan Sustainable Business Forum, Sustainable Practice Committee Member
- West Michigan Cooperative