Mary L. Tabin
Employment & Labor Law
Health Care Industry
Mary collaborates with her employer clients to manage employee relationships positively and productively. She is the Chair of the Labor and Employment Practice Group and her practice combines both counseling and complex litigation.
In addition to her legal experience, Mary brings to client counseling a deep personal understanding of the challenges of successfully growing a business in West Michigan. As a shareholder and the Chairperson for Zeeland Lumber Company – a fourth-generation family-owned business started by her great-grandfather – she uniquely understands the challenges, opportunities and complexities facing West Michigan employers.
Mary works with businesses as their outside HR resource, freeing up executives to concentrate on their business objectives with the assurance that their employee matters are handled appropriately. Mary also frequently works side-by-side with her client’s HR professionals to equip them to handle employee matters independently and with confidence, and to provide additional guidance through challenging employee issues.
Here are some of the common Employee issues that Mary regularly helps clients with:
As a member of the Health Care practice group, she also has special expertise in human resource management within the health care field. Mary is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in the state of Michigan, as well as in the Sixth Circuit of United States Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
Valparaiso School of Law, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, 1998
Hope College, Bachelor of the Arts, magna cum laude
WILS 1320 AM Capital City Recap with Michael Cohen and Mary L. Tabin (MP3): Should you google a prospective employee?
MLIVE CHAT: "Why asking for your Facebook password is like your boss peeking into your wallet."
Navigating the ACA: A Road Map for Identifying Risks and Avoiding Penalties under the Affordable Care Act
Fact or Fiction? At-Will Employment in Michigan
The Interplay Between the FMLA, ADA, Workers' Compensation and GINA
Hiring, Retaining and Disciplining Employees
- The Employers' Association, Member and Speaker
- Leadership West Michigan Graduate
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section Member
- State Bar of Michigan, Labor and Employment Section Member
- Grand Valley State University 1999-2000/Adjunt Professor, School of Law
- Grand Rapids Jaycees 1998-2000/ Legal Counsel, 1999-2000
- The Salvation Army Advisory Board, Board Member
- Zeeland Lumber Company, Chairperson of the Board of Directors/2007- Present
- Alliance of Women Entrepreneurs, President and board member/2002-2006
- Community Counseling, Board Member and Secretary/2002-2005