Bruce A. Courtade
Business & Corporate Law
Labor & Employment
President of the 42,500 member State Bar of Michigan, Bruce Courtade is a shareholder with Rhoades McKee.
Bruce's practice emphasizes civil and commercial litigation, construction law, business disputes and state and federal laws governing fair competition. In 2010, he and his Rhoades McKee partner Paul McCarthy co-chaired a four-week jury trial which resulted in a verdict in favor of his clients for roughly $7.9 million, which was the highest reported verdict in the State in 2010 and is believed to be the highest verdict in the history of the Kent County Circuit Court. He has been named a “Super Lawyer” in Commercial Litigation every year since 2006.
Bruce has lectured extensively on issues related to construction law and litigation throughout West Michigan, for groups such as the Builders Exchange of West Michigan, the American Institute of Architects, the American Society of Professional Estimators, and the Grand Rapids Bar Association. He has also been a frequent guest lecturer to law school classes on ethics and professionalism, and was the keynote speaker at Cooley Law School’s “Professionalism in Action” program in April 2011. He also appeared as a panelist on a presentation televised by CSPAN as part of a symposium on "Ethics in Our World," broadcast from the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum.
Bruce serves on the University of Michigan’s Advisory Board on Intercollegiate Athletics, a committee which oversees operations of the Athletic Department in Ann Arbor. In 2010, he received the Alumni Association’s Distinguished Alumni Service Award, which is the highest honor that can be awarded by the Association in recognition of outstanding service to the University and its alumni.
A member of the State Bar of Michigan's Board of Commissioners, Bruce also served as Chair of the State Bar's Representative Assembly until his term expired in September of 2001. He is an Attorney Discipline Board panelist, a Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation, and a member of the Board of Directors of the Michigan Supreme Court Historical Society. In addition, he is a past recipient of the John W. Cummiskey Award, given to one attorney each year in recognition of outstanding pro bono contributions to the citizens of Michigan.
Bruce received both his bachelor's degree and juris doctor from the University of Michigan. He was president of his 1988 law school graduating class. Bruce moved to Grand Rapids upon graduation from law school.
University of Michigan, Juris Doctor, 1988
University of Michigan, Bachelor Degree, 1984
Awards and Recognition
- Alumni Association of the University of Michigan Distinguished Alumni Service Award
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Martindale Hubbell Highest AV® Preeminent Rating
- Michigan’s Law and Politics, Super Lawyer, Consistently ranked since 2006
- Grand Rapids Business Journal, “Top 40 Under 40”, 1998 and 2002
- Michigan State Bar, John W. Cummiskey Award, Past Recipient
- MLIVE: State Bar of Michigan calls for halt to secret funding of judicial campaign ads
- Michigan Bar Journal, President's Page, "Gideon at 50: A Clarion Call Still Muted?," March 2013
- Michigan Bar Journal, President's Page, "Choose Helpful Over Hopeless," February 2013
- Michigan Bar Journal, President's Page, "A Few Words on "Failures", " January 2013
- Michigan Bar Journal, President's Page, "We Can Do Better: Lawyers as "Town Criers" for Civic Education and Rule of Law,"December 2012
- Michigan Bar Journal, President's Page, "Order from Chaos: Art Brings Justice and Hope to the Annual Meeting," November 2012
- Michigan Bar Journal, President's Page, "We Did it Ourselves (With Their Help)," October 2012
- Construction Lien Basics: Michigan’s Construction Lien Act – Introduction and Overview
- Construction Surety Bonds: What Are They, How Do You Get Them, And What Do They Mean? Understanding Your Rights and Duties Under Bid, Payment and Performance Bonds
- Michigan's Builders Trust Fund Act - Nuts, Bolts and Screw-ups: How Robbing Peter to Pay Paul Can Be More Costly Than You Might Think
- Rules of the Trade: Common Contractual Provisions to Recognize, Understand and Use in Your Construction Business
- Commercial Contracting 101: A Primer For Those Who are New to Commercial Contracting (Or Those Who are Looking to Re-Learn How to Survive in the Changing Economic Landscape)
- State Bar of Michigan, President
- State Bar of Michigan, Attorney Discipline Board
- State Bar of Michigan, Board of Commissioners
- State Bar of Michigan, Past Chair of Representative Assembly
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- State Bar of Michigan, Litigation and Negligence Sections
- Michigan Supreme Court Historical Society, Board of Directors
- Federal Bar Association of Western District of Michigan
- American Bar Association, House of Delegates
- American Bar Association: Litigation Section; Tort & Insurance Practice Section and Construction Industry Forum
- Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce, Legislative and Public Policy Committee
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, Member
- Justice Foundation of West Michigan
- University of Michigan Advisory Board on Intercollegiate Athletics
- University of Michigan Alumni Association, Former Member, Board of Directors
- The University of Michigan Club of Grand Rapids, Former Member, Board of Directors
- Builders Exchange of Grand Rapids, Member
- West Michigan Center for Arts and Technology, Board Member