The Guidance you need, the resolution you deserve
When a marriage ends, spouses and their children often face a perfect storm of stressful decisions: new living arrangements, child support, spousal support, the division of property or a business, as well as custody and parenting time. Our family law and divorce attorneys represent individuals in a variety of matters including pre-marital and paternity, divorce and separation, child custody, child support modification, enforcement of court orders, and guardianships. Selecting the right team for your family is critical to navigating the divorce process. Before retaining a lawyer, we suggest interviewing 2 or 3 attorneys and asking these key questions:
- What position or strategy will you use in my case?
- How long will it take to resolve my case?
- What is the breakdown of costs including the retainer, your hourly fees, and the fees of others such as accountants, appraisers or psychologists?
- How often are your cases resolved in trial instead of mediation?
- What are other specialists available to you when negotiating on my behalf?
- What are the tax consequences of my divorce?
- How does your firm help me identify the issues regarding the division of a property, assets or the value of a business?
- How does your firm help me understand and identify the issues regarding the division of real estate, a business or other assets?
- What can I expect regarding how frequently you will communicate with me? How will I be notified of any developments in my case?
- Will I receive copies of the documents filed with the Court, copies of the communication with my spouse’s attorney, and any other documents related to my case?